The Lightness of B

My photo
"But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd."

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Postmodern Faulkner

Maybe I've been out of school for too long, or maybe I've been watching too much TV, but I'm almost through season 2 of Arrested Development and I'm thinking you can make direct parallels between the show/story/characters and The Sound and the Fury.

Check it: the decay of a prominent family. Three sons, one daughter...youngest is completely dependant, one son is selfish and self-centered, daughter's sexuality is a big theme, and one son is trying to press onward & survive. Affairs. Hints of incest. Death. Put the Compsons in modern-day southern CA, give them a real estate company, and make the downfall funny instead of...well...not so funny. Then tell me it's not the same.

No comments: