The Lightness of B

My photo
"But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd."

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thirteen Ways of Looking at an iPod

I

Among two teenage siblings

The only speaking thing

Was the sound of the iPod.

II

I was of three minds,

Like an iPod

In which there are three playlists.

III

The iPod whirled in the washing machine.

It was part of the small tragedy.

IV

A man and a woman

Are one.

A man and a woman and an iPod

Are one and a half.


V

I do not know which to prefer,

The beauty of bass

Or the beauty of treble,

The iPod whistling

Both just right.


VI

Icicles filled the long windows

Of my apartment.

The shadow of the iPod

Crossed them, quickly.

My mood

Traced in the shadow

Of having dropped it again.


VII

O fat men of RIAA,

Why do you imagine golden royalties?

Do you not see how the iPod

Holds the bootlegs

Of the pirates around you?


VIII

I know noble ballads

And brash, inescapable powerchords;

But I know, too,

That the iPod is involved

In what I hear.


IX

When the iPod was out of sight

It marked the moment

Of actual solitude.


X

At the sight of an iPod

Glowing a pale light,

The lovers of euphony

Stop their cries.


XI

He rode over Connecticut

In a station wagon with his parents.

Once, a fear pierced him,

In that he realized

The battery was low

On his iPod.


XII

His mouth is moving.

My iPod must be playing.


XIII

It was day all night

It was a party

And there would be a party.

The iPod sat

In its docking station.

No comments: